The Ultra Probiotic has launched this week which means we are shouting louder than ever about the importance of gut health. We’ve called in Sara Jackson, Naturopath and Nutritional Therapist and founder of SJ Health, to help us understand the power of a probiotic.
- Our gut micro biome is as individual to us as our fingerprint. It plays a part in everything from our immunity to serotonin and hormone production so it deserves to be looked after.
- Feeding the good bacteria in your gut and balancing your microbiome can be one of the biggest game changers in your physical, mental and emotional health.
- If you’re finding it hard to shift weight, adding probiotics to your daily regime can really help, since weight problems may be indicative of an unhealthy digestive system.
What to look for in a probiotic?
- Taking probiotics as supplements can be hugely beneficial, but you really do pay for what you get. Look out for a multi-strain probiotic into the billions of CFU (which stands for colony forming units).
- Look for a fermented base within the capsule, your body finds it easier to absorb.
- Make sure it’s been grown under full therapeutic conditions and continually assayed to ensure its potency.
Alongside a probiotic what should I do to improve my gut?
We can get super powerful probiotics through fermented foods too, which I recommend to almost all of my clients that I see in clinic. Cultured vegetables such as unpasteurised kimchi and sauerkraut have been shown to reduce body weight and inflammation in people struggling with their weight. Tempeh and miso also deliver tons of beneficial bacteria that are generated in the natural fermentation process. Fermented drinks like kefir and kombucha have been found to fight inflammation, boost immunity and support weight loss as they help balance the gut bacteria naturally. You can make these yourself at home for next to nothing, or pick up some great products from the fridge at the health food store. I particularly like Rhythm Health keffir, Go! Kombucha and Equinox Kombucha and fermented veggies by Raw Health and Laurie’s Tummy Loving Foods.
The Ultra Probiotic has a super high CFU – 2.5 billion per capsule.
Unlike many formulas, this probiotic is strong, live and viable enough to have a truly positive impact on your gut.