Bake the cake, share the love
This delicious spiced dessert is the perfect celebration cake, dinner-party dessert or scrumptious treat. The Middle Eastern spices give this Healthy Persian Love Cake a rich, complex flavour, which, combined with the gooey texture, creates an indulgent, satisfying cake. Serve this with a spoon of Greek yoghurt (ideally to someone you love, or fancy) as a whole lot of love goes into this cake.
Find more easy-to-make recipes in the book, James Duigan’s Blueprint for Health.
Top Tip* Sprinkle with edible rose petals to make it extra special (and Insta-worthy!)
Recipe: Healthy Persian Love Cake
180 g (2 cups) ground almonds
250 g (1¼ cups) coconut palm sugar
½ tsp Himalayan pink salt
80 g (1/3 cup) unsalted butter, chilled
1 organic, free-range egg
125 g (½ cup) organic Greek yoghurt, plus extra to serve
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cardamom
2 tbsp shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
2 tbsp edible rose petals, to garnish (not essential, but beautiful)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Grease the sides of an 18-cm/7-inch spring-form cake tin and line the base with parchment paper.
- Mix the almond meal, sugar and salt in a bowl to combine evenly. Add the chilled butter and rub with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Spoon half the mixture into the prepared tin and press down firmly to cover the base evenly, as if you were making a cheesecake.
- Add the egg, yoghurt and spices to the remaining mixture and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy. Pour this mixture over the prepared base and sprinkle the chopped pistachios around the edge of the cake.
- Bake until golden brown and just set, approximately 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in the tin on a wire rack, before removing from the tin and transferring to a serving plate. Sprinkle with rose petals (if using) and serve with an extra dollop of Greek yoghurt on the side.